We had a couple of cold, rainy days last week. I was in serious need of some warm and filling comfort food. I had just picked up some leeks on my last grocery trip, and I was anxious to put them to use. As soon as I started cooking them up, my kitchen smelled wonderful, and I knew this dish was going to be awesome.
Broccoli Leek Potato Soup – Gluten free//Grain free//Primal **Dairy free & paleo options**
- 2 leeks, roots and dark green tips removed
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 broccoli crowns
- 2 C chicken broth
- 2 C raw milk
- 2 C cheddar cheese
- 3 TB butter
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium-high.
- Dice leeks and add to pot. Saute until tender.
- Add chicken broth and milk to pot, bring to a simmer.
- Add potatoes and broccoli. Cover and reduce heat to medium.
- Cook 6 minutes, until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.
- Stir in cheese, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Using an immersion blender, or a standard blender in batches, puree until smooth.
- Serve with extra cheddar cheese and chives.
- Replace milk with coconut or almond milk
- Replace butter with coconut oil
- omit cheese
Leeks may be replaced with 1 small onion
Potatoes may be replaced with 1 small head of cauliflower