If you are an American, and you were once a child, you must certainly have memories of eating chicken pot pie. Maybe it was your Grandmother’s made from scratch, Crisco-in-the-crust, flour thickened goodness. Perhaps it was a can of veg-all and some Pillsbury biscuits on top. It was quite possibly some previously-frozen Marie Callenders. Regardless, the aroma alone that emanates from the kitchen when you whip this up will take you back to those wonderful (gluten-eating) childhood days.
For the crust
- 1 1 /2 C almond flour
- 2 1/2 C tapioca flour
- 2 sticks of cold, unsalted butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 2 TB cold water
For the filling
- 1 lb chicken, cubed
- 2 C chicken broth
- 1 whole sweet onion, chopped
- 4 TB butter
- 1 12oz bag of frozen peas and carrots
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh sage, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 TB potato starch
- 2 tsp tapioca flour
- 2 TB water
Prepare the crust-
- In a food processor, pulse almond flour, tapioca starch, and salt until combined.
- Cut butter into thin slices and add to processor. Pulse until mixture resembles a fine meal.
- Add egg and 2 TB water and process until smooth.
- Divide dough into 2 and chill.
- Preheat oven to 425.
For the filling-
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high.
- Add onions and cook until softened.
- Add chicken, herbs, peas and carrots, and potatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper. stir.
- Pour in the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- In a small dish combine potato starch, tapioca flour, and water.
- Slowly add to the skillet, stirring continuously until thickened.
- Place one half of dough in between two pieces of parchment paper and roll out to fit your pie dish.
- Remove top sheet of parchment and turn out into pan.
- Pour in the filling.
- Roll second crust as described, and place it on top.
- Cut 5 or 6 slits in the top.
- Cover edges with foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove foil and return to oven for 5 minutes.