I’ve always loved a hot bowl of oatmeal in the morning. Sweet, creamy, and comforting. I played around with several versions when I cut the grains, and I fell in love with my Two Minute Oatmeal. I recently made the switch to AIP, so it was back to the drawing board. This porridge hit the nail on the head. Plantains provide a hearty starchiness, while shredded coconut and a surprise veggie give it the perfect mouth feel!
I’m sure you are wondering “why on earth would you put vegetables in your porridge?”. Well, my dear. Because it works! It’s hard enough trying to get enough veggies in every day, and the one place everyone falls short is breakfast. Especially if, like me, eggs are not an option. Scrambled eggs and omelettes are the easiest way to make sure I get my breakfast greens. Other than that I tend to draw a blank. Luckily, this tasty porridge provides one whole serving of veggies. Hooray!
So what is that magical veggie? It’s *drum roll please*…squash! Spaghetti squash to be exact. It lends the perfect texture that most closely resembles the oatmeal I long for. Ahhhhhh, a nice hot bowl of comfort.
- 1 small spaghetti squash (makes about 3 cups)
- 1 plantain (the darker the sweeter)
- 1 C unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 C coconut milk
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- coconut sugar to taste
- Pierce squash and microwave 3 minutes, until flesh is softened. Allow 2-3 minutes to cool.
- Cut squash in half, lengthwise, and remove seeds.
- Return to microwave for 6-10 minutes, until soft.
- Scrape the pulp from the skin into a food processor.
- Add plantain, coconut, and milk.
- Pulse 3-4 times until combined.
- Transfer to a medium sauce pan over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring continuously, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in cinnamon and salt. remove from heat.
- Serve, sprinkled with extra cinnamon and coconut sugar to taste.